Sunday, July 18, 2010

15 - 17 of July

What a fantastic weekend. New learning experiences indeed.

Thursday I shot the coronation of the Lakefair queen which was quite intense because it was brief and their was not much time for me to make the deadline. In short I was 13 minutes late, the lesson there was that I must call the photo editor and ask for a bit more time. The reason I was late was because I could not send remotely from my car with a tether to my phone that was a fail, so I had to rush to the Olympian to send from there. It was adrenaline pumping because I am a perfectionist and anal retentive about time. Anyhow lesson truly learned from that situation.

A little explanation on Lakefair. Obviously it is a fair, a fair that centers around the Capital Lake in Olympia. Every summer we have the fair and its pretty dreadful and basically a giant school dance for the teenagers and the young at heart. Lame to say the least. Never the less I pushed forward to take photos for the crowning and for a local feature for Friday and Saturday's paper.

On Saturday I was to shoot the Seattle to Portland Bike ride. This in itself was not interesting. My goal here was to learn to hunt down stories and stories in photos with a reporter. I think I did pretty well. When the reporter got there I immediately informed her of a guy in a strange vehicle called a velomobiel (thats how it was spelled on his car). A bullet shaped aerodynamic bicycle with 3 wheels, two in front, one in back. It was a sleek little contraption. Also we found some people with polka dots on haz mat suits and a women wearing a tiara to represent a women she rides with who could not ride whom had breast cancer. It was a lot of fun. I think I could take to reporting as well. I'd like to do that just so I can be more use to an editor and make more money, of course. All I need to do is work on my writing, as you can pry tell is not fantastic.

Anyhow, I think the editors liked my photos or at least I hope they did or else I would've pry heard about it at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment