Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 10th and 11th

Wow what a weekend. I could've not gone from two different photography extremes, on two different days, than I did this weekend. Saturday was a relaxed day of shooting at Huntamer Park, in Lacey, for the first 2010 community market. It was fun, I got some great shots, that looked great in the Sunday paper. I made sure I got all the names and where they were from, it was pretty easy.

Sunday, was the day of intensity and new experiences. I shot the NHRA Northwest championship drag races in Kent. This was insane, the noise, the vibrations, the speed, it was absolutely crazy. On top of that one of the drivers died and I had shots of his race, which automatically became incredibly important to the newspaper folks. The idea of course other people had shots but mine were the only newspaper shots because the Seattle times didn't have a shot of him, also I am free work, because I am an intern and the other photographers know the value of such a shot or at least thats what I gathered from the other people there. Anyhow I basically observed the other photographers, talked to them and just watched what how they shot but it really wasn't necessary I had been thinking about how to shoot the races for the past night I feel I can be pretty intuitive about any situation I'm put in for composition.

It was a dramatic day, besides Mark Niver dying, there was tense feelings between the car types, also confusion with the starting lights, or the christmas tree as they call it, overall though I probably don't know the half of what went on outside of all the noise and speed.

(EDIT) HERES MY PHOTO ON NBC SPORTS WEBSITE the associated press is using my photo wow NBC

THE SEATTLE TIMES

Herald Net

Kentucky.com

USA TODAY

goupstate.com

I'm not trying to brag I'm just excited

Overall I'm saddened by this mans death its a little bitter sweet to have my first photo nationally published, and its not even a spectacular photo, under these circumstances. RIP Mark Niver he died doing what he loved.

and here is the tribunes article on the whole thing
TNT

No comments:

Post a Comment