Monday, July 26, 2010

July 22nd - 24th 2010


LEFT is a little girl giving one of the princess' at the queens coronation of lakefair her support; every time I'm down I think of this kid. Wish I would've had the time to talk to her.

What a sports filled week it was. Mostly baseball and a little bit of track and field. Thursday I shot a 12 year old kid who's brother died in a terrible car accident and it discouraged him from playing baseball. The kid then decided that he wanted to play in memory of his brother. The whole team had his initials on the side of their helmets, the kid carried a picture of his brother to every game and he seemed to just be a good kid and was also really good at baseball. The goal for this shoot was to get a portrait of him playing baseball and having a good time with his team after this tragic incident. It was a little weird as well that my girlfriends cousin was the driver of the automobile that was in the wreck. Anyhow that was fun and inspiring as well.

Friday I shot a local 13 year old baseball championship. Which was fun, still interesting to see what the editors pick out of the photos I send because I like to not just get the sports but the crowd enjoying it. There wasn't too much special going on there just a few enthusiastic parents.

Saturday was the best of them all. I shot the senior games at tumwater high school. These were some inspiring ladies and gentlemen. All 50 to 100+ doing amazing sports at their age like pole vaulting, long jump, high jump, 10k run, 100 meter dash. It was cool, lots of really good faces.

Lately I've been looking at contests and stuff to enter in hopes to gain more recognition as a student of photojournalism. Its a little disconcerting to see these guys from around the country at these schools of photojournalism doing this; where I am pry the only student of photojournalism in this town let alone state I feel like I'm going to get out gamed and shot down because I'm at a different college, that really has no affiliation in journalism. I'm doing it all myself really. I just hope it won't hamper me in the future. My mom says its all about the internships and who you work with so I suppose I'm doing that right seeing as I'm working for one of the best. It'd be nice to win a contest and gain some recognition and prestige for what I want to do with myself. Especially some recognition for Evergreen that would be really cool.

After this is over its back to trying to find a job, ugh the thought of it is disconcerting and depressing alone. Not looking forward to it. Can't I just freelance now!???!?! Not like I have the equipment for it but damn it I have the drive. I just don't want to be pushing carts or being a cashier like some corporate pawn. Maybe if I get work study I can get a fun job at evergreen maybe in the photo department. That'd be incredible. Going to try to find that out tomorrow.

All in all doing photography and journalism is all I think about its become number one above all else. I want to travel. I want to learn about different cultures. I want to see world events happen. I want to get to know everyone and be known. Most of all I want to be good. Nothing can stop me now. I'm too determined, too stubborn and too emboldened to let anything or anyone stop me.

Here is a sequence photo from the senior games.
Look at it big its great!

No comments:

Post a Comment